[meteorite-list] Happy Easter / 2 Year PF Aniv.

From: joseph_town_at_att.net <joseph_town_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Mar 27 16:13:07 2005

Hi all,

What an event. The first news report I saw was the one where Mr. Jones showed the media a cardboard flat of asphalt. I didn't know much about meteorites then, still don't, but I told my wife it just didn't look right. When I met Jones a few days later, I asked him about it. He said that the reporter was insistent about a photo op and that they didn't care what he showed them. He said he was a little nervous about all of it and didn't want to show the real thing to anyone at the time. This discussion took place after he called the police! I was running around the parking lots east and south of his house with a magnetic parking lot sweeper. This unnerved him but we all had a friendly conversation when the cops arrived. The Olympia Fields police had recovered a surprising number of meteorites already. I don't know what became of them. The two Olympia Fields police specimens that I saw were not for sale. Jones sold me a few fragments just to get rid of me and he said he'd sell me the rest but he didn't have time
 to go to the local jewelry store with me to weigh them. I didn't own a scale yet. He never called me after that and I really didn't want to pester him. In retrospect, I should have been more persistent, lol.

I was out almost every day for months. It amazes me that I never met any of you other than Steve Witt. Steve Witt is a real gentleman and a fine ambassador representing the hobby. He gave me a 4 hour crash course on meteorites. He even took pity on my lack of success that day and gave me a beautiful micro, gratis. I still and always will have it.
Sorry to go on so much. I have a lot more stories and info but my wife is insisting that I get with the Easter program.

A great day to all,

Bill

From: RYAN PAWELSKI <yellowengine_at_earthlink.net>