[meteorite-list] NPA 02-16-1979 China Opens, Urey gets Jilin Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 28 17:21:56 2005

Paper: The Gettysburg Times
City: Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Date: Friday, February 16, 1979
Page: 12 (of 20)

CHINESE GIFT

     SAN DIEGO, Calif (AP) - In an unexpected goodwill gesture, two
scientists in the People's Republic of China have sent Nobel laureate Harold
Urey a small fragment of a 2-ton meteorite that showed northeastern China in
1976.
     "Maybe this is part of the opening up of China." Dr. Urey said. "We've
tried to cooperate with them before and haven’t succeeded very well."
     Urey, a 86-year-old professor emeritus of chemistry at the University
of California at San Diego, won the Nobel Prize for chemistry in 1934 for
the discovery of heavy hydrogen.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.