[meteorite-list] E. King, "Appoint of Scientist as Astronaut" Review for O'Keefe.

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 28 19:42:25 2005

The following is my typed version of a NASA form letter, for appointment of
scientist as astronaut, in my archives. In, 1966, at the request of John
O'Keefe, Elbert King gave a review of O'Keefe on if he had "the right
stuff." King kept his carbon copy, and it is this that I am transcribing.
I can't type out this form letter perfectly, with its many dashes and boxes,
but the following should give you a good ideal of its content.

Note: King and O'Keefe were on different ends on the origin of tektites.
King favoring the earth-impact theory and O'Keefe, the champion for the
lunar origin.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com
www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
www.imca.cc

APPOINTMENT OF SCIENTIST AS ASTRONAUT
Confidential Reference Report

Name of Respondent: Elbert King Name of Applicant: O'Keefe, John A
Respondent's Title: Staff Scientist Applicant Field: Astronomy
Respondent Field: Geology

To the Respondent: This report will be sued for the guidance of the
reviewing boards, which will be appointed by NAS-NRC, and will be hold in
strict confidence. The applicant named above has applied for appoint as a
Scientist as Astronaut. Applicants are all at the Ph. D or equivalent level
in experience, and your judgment should indicate the applicant's standing In
that population. To assist you in developing an evaluation of the
applicant, the reverse side of this form calls for detailed ratings and
should be completed first.

     My Comments should be regarded in light of my contact with O'Keefe
which has been in Lunar and geosciences only. Geoscience is not O'Keefe's
strong field. He is extremely fair in his personal relations and
professional relations with others, but sometimes is biased in controversial
scientific questions. I am certain that he would perform with dedication
any task that was assigned to him as a member of a space flight team. I
think that he would be most valuable as an astronomical observer in Earth
orbit or under possible lunar base conditions. His qualifications as an
astronomical observer should be confirmed by the opinions of others
astronomers. He has an outstanding command of the entire field of space
science.

Summary Evaluation: Everything considered, what is your opinion of the
candidate's all-around qualifications for the particular responsibilities of
an Astronaut?

Box choices are "BELOW AVERAGE", "AVERAGE", "SOMEWHAT ABOVE AVERAGE",
"GOOD", "UNUSUAL", "OUTSTANDING" and "TRUELY EXCEPTIONAL"

Dr. King has checked "UNUSUAL".

(signed) Elbert King
Date: November 29, 1966