[meteorite-list] AD - BENGUERIR, SHIROKOVSKY and black crusted NWA

From: Meteoriteshow <meteoriteshow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Mar 31 08:16:13 2005

Hi Philippe, Marcin, Matto and All,

I have been to the strewnfield as well and I can assure everybody that THERE
IS A NEW FALL in Morocco that should be named shortly BENGUERIR.
- First of all, as Philippe mentioned, this place is far from the desert and
getting such fresh material, all fragments similar to each other in terms of
fusion crust, matrix means that they were LOCALLY recovered. In this
agricultural and very green area, it rains often enough for a meteorite to
get weathered very rapidly, which is not the case for Benguerir (unless a
fragment has been stored for a while in a well as Philippe mentions on his
web site). I have also collected some witness reports about the fall and I
can't see any reason for them to tell a story. Can anybody tell us how
Besour fragments would have reached this place and been shared between
farmers who would keep them hidden, waiting for us to come and buy? How the
Royal Police would have been also involved in such a 'rumor' and collected
most of the fragments?
- Second of all, some fragments display a second phase, different from the
LL6 main structure. I have bought two fragments like this and can send
pictures to anyone who likes to see them; this is definitely not the case of
Bensour, and Benguerir is obviously a different fall than Bensour.
Therefore, Benguerir is a breccia (and Bensour is not). How could it be
possible then, that some fragments I bought there would display this breccia
if I bought some Bensour???
- Finally, buying a Benguerir on a show a few weeks after the fall, to a
Moroccan dealer who mainly sells Bensour is probably a risk not to get the
right material when you do not know him well Matteo. You may have bought a
Bensour instead of Benguerir and the guy who sold it to you either made a
mistake or did it intentionally; I don't know. Bensour are most of the time
complete individuals of various sizes, but I have not seen any small
complete individuals of Benguerir so far... That's also another difference
(but of course I have not seen all of them!!!).

To finish with this 'story, Philippe mentioned also the Moroccan scientist
who made the classification of Benguerir. I think that her work must be
considered as very serious. She is also a Nomenclature Committee Member of
the Meteoritical Society and I believe that she would not have proposed this
new fall to be recorded by the Met Soc without a seriously documented
enquiry.

I think that we always have very careful when buying something like
meteorites and make sure that we really buy what we are supposed to. But too
much paranoia is not good! You can contact me directly if you want to buy a
fragment of Benguerir Matteo, and then compare it with Bensour. I have one
last small one with the breccia if you want.

I just wished to bring my opinion as I was there last January, hoping it
will help to make things clearer.

Best wishes to all of you,

Frederic Beroud
www.meteoriteshow.com