[meteorite-list] NPA 04-12-1900 Allegan Meteorite at National Museum (Smithsonian)

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 3 11:20:26 2005

Paper: The Daily Herald
City: Delphos, Ohio
Date: Thursday Evening, April 12, 1900
Page: 2 (of 4)

     The National Museum in Washington has come into possession of a
meteorite which fell on Thomas hill, in Allegan, Michigan, on July 10, 1899.
  The fall occurred about 8 o'clock in the morning. Observers noticed a
slight bluish tinge and a hazy appearance in the track of the descending
stone. Some report that they heard a rumbling and rushing noise. The
meteorite probably weighed originally seventy pounds, but it was shattered
by its fall, the largest piece weighing sixty-two and a half pounds. It
buried itself eighteen inches in the ground, and was picked up while yet
warm. It was friable, and contains finely disseminated metallic iron,
olivine in the form of black glass, and some undetermined sulphides.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.