Re-2: [meteorite-list] Elton Meteorite

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu May 5 15:52:27 2005

Derek wrote:

> I'm new to this list but I've collected meteorites for a while.

Hello Derek and welcome to "our" List!

> I just bought the main mass of the
> Elton Iron Meteorite (1.6 kg) from
> Texas.

Wow! Sincere congrats!

> Was wondering if any people had any info or papers on it

Nothing, or I had better say hardly anything.
Only what Vagn Buchwald wrote about it:

BUCHWALD V.F. (1975) Handbook of Iron Meteorites, Volume 2, p. 564:

A mass of 1.9 kg was found about 1936 near Elton, in Dickens County. The main
mass is in Austin where Barnes gave a preliminary description. Wasson found
6.9 ? 0.5 % Ni, 46.3 ppm Ga, 165 ppm Ge, and 0.053 ppm Ir. This data indicate
that Elton is anomalous or slightly related to the resolved chemical group IIB.
Unfortunately no material was available for a metallographic examination in this
study.

> I will post some picts of the piece if anybody is interested.

Of course, most if not all list members are very interested and curious!

Best regards,

Bernd