[meteorite-list] Fake Lunar and new Pallasite

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 10 07:21:12 2005

With all carefullness and expressing only my personal opinion:
I wouldn't buy this "Dho 025".
I took a cheap fragment for curiosness (1.345g at 150$/g) and I'm convinced,
that it isn't Dho 025 nor a lunaite at all. Much to vesicular.
The story, the seller told me about the provenience can't be true neither
(beside some unbelievable details):
They told to have it acquired from ebay in Feb 2002.
The finder of Dho025, who had that locality exclusevely, didn't sell it at
that time on ebay, nor does he know those people.
Furthermore he sold always thin slices only, but the piece I took is a fat
fragment, obviously not token from a slice.
The main mass, where it only could stem from, was in the possession of the
finder until it was sold in Tucson in 2004 and not in 2002.

The reason, why I couldn't warn yet (and care for getting my money back) is,
that I'm careful in blaming others to sell fakes and I wanted to show my
fragment to the finder first, who I'll met not before Ensisheim. (You may
bring your specimens there too). I only asked a certain person not to spread
this doubtful material in giveaways for free, until I'll have more cogent
informations - obviously without success.

Buckleboo!
Martin