[meteorite-list] Size of diamonds in meteorites

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 10 10:28:15 2005

Hi Steve and List,

Steve said:
It's not the size of the diamonds- it's the quantity of them.

This seems to agree with what I found out:
I was told that Dhofar 979 cuts very easily so apparently the carbides have
no affect on the diamond blades. I just asked a scientist what the cause of
destroyed blades might be and he suggested the diamonds could be in clumps
causing the damage. Although carbide is very hard, harder than corundum, it
is no where near the hardness of a diamond.

I find this an interesting topic,

Adam