[meteorite-list] Re: Sikhote shrapnel ?

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 10 21:31:20 2005

Bob posted:

> So what do you think these are? Sikhote shrapnel?
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
> ViewItem&category=3239&item=6530151721&rd=1
>
> If it is, its selling at great prices that some of you should take
> advantage of.

Dear Bob and List:

I think what we're looking at here is actually a large Nantan fragment.
I know it doesn't look like the Nantans we usually see. However, a few
years ago -- while looking at similar pieces at the old Ramada Inn
during the Tucson show -- I was told (in broken English) by a very nice
Chinese gentleman that dynamite had been used to blow up one or more
really big Nantans in China, and that these silvery shrapnel-like
pieces were the result. If you look at another item that the seller is
listing . . .

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B21215E0B

  . . . it sure does look like one of those dynamited Nantans. Some of
these pieces show the interior crystalline structure, and I think all
or most of them have been acid cleaned and/or sandblasted. Not sure if
the dynamite story is true, but that's what I was told at the time.
Kind of interesting pieces (and cheap), but a little over-cleaned for
my tastes.

BTW, I'd like to thank our friend Rob Wesel for turning me on to the
makeashorterlink.com website. What a handy thing. Almost as good as
that Babelfish translator : )

Sincerely,

Geoff N.