[meteorite-list] Canyon Diablo & nomenclature...

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 13 07:37:06 2005

Hello Ron and list,

Ron noted, "The name "Meteor Crater" was first formally proposed...on
December 29, 1906...."

Barringer was calling it Coon Mountain at this time, so the reference
appears to be accurate. My question was however when was the crater
officially scientifically recognized as a meteorite crater. But I guess
there isn't a clear answer. The USGS was claiming the crater to be a steam
blowout in 1906.

For locals, it was pre-1901, when written reference of the crater starts.

Does anyone know if the USGS wrote any crater origin papers on the structure
before Shoemaker?

Clear Skies,
Mark