[meteorite-list] Kansas Legal Debate: Creation, Evolution and Intelligent...

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 13 12:36:03 2005

Regarding the "new theory of intelligent design" that has suddenly become
prominent in Kansas (or was it Ohio), JKG's statement, of the "egg-first school
of thought" whether unintentionally or not, can be quite consistent with it,
and isn't much different from the Intelligent Design's principle argument:
"How can such a complex thingy with a function spontaneously form without
external help".

Saint Augustine, the middle 5th century philosopher on creation first
recorded in his ideas the "new theory of intelligent design". (Saint Thomas
Aquinas in the 1200's added some additional caveats) It has been around for a long
time and holds that a great intelligence planted the seeds and reappeared as
necessary to develop all life forms. Eggs, seeds, "simpliest forms", with
the help of Earth, that were developed into the zoo we have today. Such a
blanket statement of "first" is inconsistent with evolution, however, as
evolution holds the question as irrelevant since mutations can happen during the
reproductive stage creating the fertilized egg first, or mutations can happen
during development, especially during earlier stages of cellular
differientiation, or later stages after the chick breaks out of the egg shell, in which
case the "chicken" can be considered first (such as altered DNA from incident
solar radiation caused by a major meteorite impact disrupting the atmosphere).

Luckily, when a theory is proven irrelevant or unnecessary, it is usually
license to drop it. So the generalized "chicken and egg" subject presents no
problems to evolutionists.

Additionally, Intelligent design is simply not a testable theory and
therefore is not part of the scientific method. An untestable theory which makes no
predictions other than those that are already addressed without adopting it,
as any experienced PhD student can tell you is not a good theory to take
stock in.

Which hopefully leads us back to plain creationism and plain evolutionism as
two schools of philosophy to satisfy humankind's souls but not to create
dissent and wars...myself, I would be satisfied to understand the process by
which an ordinary chondrite forms, hardens and then agregates, forms a
concretion, and once again hardens, over how time (in modern terms) days depending on
where it travels in the primitive Solar system and how energy is absorbed and
transferred within it...
Saludos

En un mensaje con fecha 05/13/2005 10:12:03 AM Mexico Daylight Time,
h3chondrite_at_cox.net escribe:
Just my personal belief here, but I believe it was the egg that came
first. Life begins in it's simplest form.
JKG