[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hunting Laws

From: d freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 13 18:41:15 2005

Dear Adam, List;
I have a proven test case with my Rock Springs meteorite. State of
Wyoming and the Rock Springs District (and other districts in Wyoming)
have communicated with Arizona, and California and Nevada (and other
western states BLM offices) and have blessed me to keep my meteorite
minus the part that went to UCLA/Dr.Ruben for a type specimen to be on
deposit to make the Smithsonian and the scientific community happy.
For those of you that are sneaky low-down desperado's, if you approach
the BLM at the district and at the state levels BEFORE you hunt/find,
and do the proper field recordation, the BLM, I have found, is delighted
that you are creating interest in wise MULTIUSE practices of public lands.
Of course, I am an amazing individual and have had great success because
I attend BLM workshop and public input meetings. The four years of
contacting the BLM district managers and rangers proactively......even
loaning my signed copy of "Rocks From Space" to the ranger and district
office for their benifit/education was kindness repaid doubly.
This is not rumor but from me, the finder of the first public lands
meteorite in Wyoming in 56 years. When I started my odessey, it was
a "file a claim" verdict that came from the state BLM offices in
Cheyenne. So, you may need to do some work, and education to get
everyone on board in your local district offices but thanks of a grand
nature must go to Bob Verish who helped me posture the recreational
meteorite hunting on public lands in the state of Wyoming. What a very
successful venture.
I agree with Adam, the prediction of more US meteorites in the next few
years is very interesting and very well may be prophetic of things to
come (wink-wink, nod-nod).
Sincerely,
Dave Freeman
IMCA #3864