[meteorite-list] A Message Concerning Oman

From: MarkF <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun May 15 07:38:30 2005

Hi Marcin and List

I would suspect that it actually has nothing to do with meteorites or rocks
at all.
It may have to do with whats going on over there and they do not want to be
accused of not being able to protect tourists. They might not be able to
protect their own people and so foreigners become an international
liability.
So, to discourage hunters and adventurers, they arrest some, toss them in
jail, confiscate their belongings and deport them without much diplomacy
(you read what the embassy's are reputed to have said, so it may be that the
embassy's were aware of what was going to happen, or at least the outcome
before the hunters were even arrested) knowing that (hoping that?) word
would spread within the meteorite community.

Within the major cities, they could protect maybe, but out in the open
desert, there isn't much civil presence.

Just a thought

Mark F