[meteorite-list] NPA 04-25-1946 Meteor Crater Not Meteoritic, USGS

From: Jerry A. Wallace <jwal2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun May 15 16:23:39 2005

Mark,

That's a mental trap fallen into by numerous minds over the ages.
Sort of a clap-trap snare, as it were. It's also a sieve that serves
to separate the detritus from the plausible.

Obviously, Dr. N. H. Darton of the U. S. Geological Survey,
1946, jumped in with both feet and eyes wide closed.

The effect of the analogy he used is similar to one that I've been
fond of using as illustration for many years...

"All the Indians in Florida walk single file- at least the one
I saw did."

Jerry