[meteorite-list] Canyon Diablo & nomenclature...was (Is AmgalaOfficial?/NewBulletin)

From: Gerald Flaherty <grf2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 16 21:01:55 2005

Cool Beans Doug! Always a great yarn spinner. This is what I've learned
often from your contributions to the list!
It's kind of a shame though.
It reminds me of the moment, at about ten, when I learned how to read Comic
Books. Soon after the text explained what was actually happening, I lost
interest in them. My wild eyed imagination concocted wilder more compelling
tales from the pictures, at least in my preadolescent mind, and IT WAS
INTERACTIVE!
Again that wild eyed imagination had brought "Tail of the Devil" and
"Devil's Canyon" together and echoes of aboriginal oral tradition whispered
secrets of witnessed falls[or better, shaman reasoned conformities ie. a
witnessed fall[can]=a crater ergo a mega crater = a mega fall, a place to
AVOID.
Yes I'm aware that there is no chance of homo sapiens being present at
Chixalub and even the "Canyon" stretches "know" facts.
But in a larger sense, What the hell do we KNOW? Mr. Barringer may not have
been first to deduce an extraterrestrial origin to the Crater that sometimes
bears his name. Excuse my momentary unscientific mind set. I realize as I
sit at this infernal machine that I owe most everything to modern science.
But the mists of time beckon. Mind is mind, and reaching beyond facts if
nothing else invigorates and revitalizes. You know "think" outside the box!
Thanks for your indulgence. And a special thank you to Doug for steering me
in a sounder direction.
Jerry Flaherty