[meteorite-list] PV

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 17 12:33:15 2005

Hello List,

  Looks like the debate is still on. ;-)

  In my post yesterday, I was careful to use the words
(highlighted below):

 --- " ... there is a distinct CHANCE the true
uniqueness of PV MAY soon be reflected in a POSSIBLE
new moniker for this intriguing meteorite."

--- " In this detailed work, we now have the PROPOSED
reclassification of PV as an "H7, metallic-melt
breccia (primitive achondrite)"..."

  We all know that PV has been, and perhaps will
continue to be for a while, a VERY puzzling meteorite,
with a complex history of formation and an exact
classification that may never be totally agreed on nor
completely understood by all parties. I'll be the
first to admit I certainly do not have the credentials
nor understanding to have any say in the matter. I was
simply making any interested parties aware of this
intriguing new paper and its proposals. But I will
also say that I, and many others who have discussed PV
over the years with me, are hopeful that in the end
(if there is "an end") it does turn out that PV will
be recognized as something more than an ordinary H6.
( IF that is the "right answer" and it does in fact
deserve it, as it SEEMS to by many of us. )

  Sincerely,
  Robert Woolard

 am excited to be able to say that there is a
distinct chance the true uniqueness of PV may soon be
reflected in a possible new moniker for this
intriguing meteorite. David Weir was kind enough to
make me aware of a new and comprehensive paper by Alex
Ruzicka, Marvin Killgore, David Mittlefehldt, and Marc
Fries in the current MAPS. In this detailed work, we
now have the proposed reclassification of PV as an "
H7, metallic-melt breccia (primitive achondrite)",
with the case made for a new meteorite type
designation of "Portalesite" due to this metallic-melt
breccia characteristic.