[meteorite-list] Portales Valley Classification Info

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 17 13:32:23 2005

I was the lazy editor of the MetBull when PV fell, so I can tell you the story.

Basically, two scientists were in communication with the NomCom during the
classification, Dave Kring and Alan Rubin. There were two schools of
thought on what to call it, and these were not really that far
apart. Kring, the person that submitted the initial classification,
described PV as an H6 chondrite with abundant veins of metallic shock
melt. His initial interpretation was that the source of the metal was the
H chondrite host, and that the metal was basically the same thing you see
in small shock veins in many chondrites, just on a larger scale. All of
the material appeared to be of H chondrite affinity and many clasts were
H6. Rubin wanted to call it an H chondrite impact melt breccia. He too
considered all the components to be of H chondrite origin, but thought the
IMB designation would alert people to the fact that the texture was so
interesting. (Of course, the texture is different from other melt breccias
as well.)

As you can see, both researchers thought PV was H chondrite material and
both thought that shock effects dominated the texture. So there was no way
we were going to call it a new group... it was from the H parent body and
didn't contain weird or foreign material. In the end, we agreed to go with
the submitter's classification as an H6 with remarkable shock effects, and
Rubin agreed that he'd call it an H impact melt breccia in the literature
(which he did). It hardly seemed to matter since these two classifications
were so close.

If I had to publish the announcement again today as editor, knowing what we
do now, I'd probably go with "H melt breccia". But there is still no clear
line between H6 chondrites with abundant shock veins and melt pockets and
those like PV, which probably should have the presence of melt noted in the
classification.

Jeff