[Meteorite-list] re: Astroids associated with meteorites (McSween)

From: E. L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun May 29 20:11:45 2005

Hello Jerry,

You probably are thinking of "Meteorites and Their Parent Bodies" 2nd
Edition by Harry (Hap ) McSween, Jr -- whist not assisting on the
Martian projects is from my alma mater, the Univ. of Tennessee _at_Knoxville.

(IMHO) until the Nortons came along with "Rocks in Space" and
subsequently the "Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites", "Parent
Bodies"1st and 2nd eds were the best available modern text on meteorites.

McSween, as I recall, compared albedos and specific spectra from various
asteroid families with those of various classes of meteorites to
associate them with their parent bodies. You'll do well to add this
reference and used versions are on Amazon now for under $10.

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0521587514/002-2622076-9595205?v=glance>

Regards,
Elton