[meteorite-list] DIs in Fred's TAN 057

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 1 09:27:26 2005

Hello Frederic,

Do you have any idea why your Tanezrouft 057 is listed in an article in
the August 2005 MAPS - "A weathering index for CK and R chondrites",
A.E. Rubin and H. Huber - as a CK5 rather than a C4-An? In the article
they also assign Tanezrouft 057 a weathering index of wi-4, or highly
weathered, which may be analogous to the old W3 category of Wlotzka.

I had been considering adding a small specimen to my collection given
its unique classification, but I have a representative collection of the
CK chondrites already. Evidently the thin section studied by Rubin (UCLA
1801) has resulted in a slightly different conclusion than MNHN Paris &
Blaise Pascal University - Clt. Fd. Maybe you can shed some light on
this classification ambiguity?

Regards,

David