[meteorite-list] DIs in Fred's TAN 057

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 1 14:54:30 2005

Hello Frederic,

It's ashame that you learned about your classification by UCLA from me
first, by reference to a published paper, rather than from the
laboratory management to whom you submitted it (and paid?). Since the
paper I referenced is in the newest (August 05) issue, it won't become
available for non-subscribers until next year. Your meteorite,
Tanezrouft 057, was simply included in an appendix table along with the
proposed new weathering index, which was the subject of the paper. The
petrologic type of the various CK and R chondrites were also given. As
Bernd suggested, the possibility of a typo is always possible. Since you
have obtained several disparate classifications, I will be interested to
follow the future research on this one.

The CK-CV group designation has been the subject of some debate, as can
be seen in the paper by Greenwood et al. (2003):

"Are CK Chondrites Really a Distinct Group or Just Equilibrated CVs?"

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2003/pdf/5179.pdf

I hope your meteorite can help with this investigation.

Regards,
David