[meteorite-list] Fred's TAN 057 a CK or a CV Chondrite?

From: Meteoriteshow <meteoriteshow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 2 05:02:27 2005

Dear Bernd and All,

Many thanks for your help in trying to understand what Tnz057 really is and providing many information about studies that have been
carried out already about CVs and CKs.
I will try my best in order to get more information about this meteorite, from labs that are willing to work on it and of course
will share the results (when available!) with the Meteorite List.
Any other comments & clues are welcome of course, my goal being to find out what we have recovered from the Tanezrouft: a CV4? a
CK4? a CK5?... or anything else??? One of the main interests is to me that it may bring some new information about the
classification of CVs and CKs, causing Scientitsts to face new questions. Isn't it exciting?
I agree that it does not fit completely to the criterias of classification as a CK (the most obvious points to me are the huge CAIs
and sharply defined chondrules that are present in this meteorite...) but it does not fit to the criterias of classification as a CV
as well. O isotopes have not been searched so far, maybe one day?
For all those reasons I really believe that before we get more information about the CK and CV groups, the classification reached by
Bertrand Devouard, Brigitte Zanda and Michele Denise is what had to be provided in the present knowledge that we have. The new
question is also about its metamorphism since UCLA concluded to a CK5... but once again this meteorite is quite heterogeneous (John
Wasson has seen the complete meteorite and various sections) and the partslices that have been used for the study on CK and R
chondrites is quite small and maybe not fully representative... I don't know as I'm not a scientist myself and I simply wonder,
taking the different results the way they come! And once again the fact that quite different conclusions are obtained is very
interesting, for a meteorite that is "anomalous" from its "head down to its toes"! (to mention Bernd's expression).

"May the Force be with Tnz057"!!!
Best regards,

Frederic