[meteorite-list] New Lunar Meteorite Discovered - NWA 3163

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 2 11:22:27 2005

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I had a discussion on the phone with the lead scientist last night regarding
the weathering level of NWA 3163 would be after the question was brought up
by a collector. He basically stated that due to the very low amount of
caliche and virtually no interior staining, that he would suggest the
weathering grade would be very low, perhaps W1 if he had to apply the grade
(which he did not in his submitted classification).

We are still waiting for the terrestrial age. I know this does not determine
the weathering level, but may help in this case due to the current
weathering grade rules (as you kindly listed below). I suppose it is all up
to interpretation for this type of meteorite and I guess one could compare
this lunar meteorite to another similar one and could make an educated guess
or suggestion of weathering level.

Perhaps the scientific community and/or NomCom can come up with a scientific
way to determine weathering levels for meteorites of this type, which
lack significant metal and sulfide. They might be able to use the Apollo
samples which have small clasts of the same material to use as a guide? Just
a thought.

Best regards,

Greg