[meteorite-list] Questions regarding Unclassified meteorite sales

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Nov 6 01:27:54 2005

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 22:03:31 -0800 (PST), Pat Brown <radio_ranch_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Will some of you share your thoughts on why
>unclassified meteorite sales are discouraged?

I haven't really heard of the sales being "discouraged". All I know of is a very few dealers
spreading sour grapes about what the NWA rush has done to their high prices. ("The market is in
ruin" and "NWAs support terrorists" being two claims that come to mind).

>I have collected meteorites for about 10 years now and
>have purchased some unclassified NWA meteorites from
>sellers on eBay. The 500 to 1000 gram meteorites are
>selling at attractive prices. Is the practice of

It looks like uncut unclassifed NWAs in non-reserve auctions are tending to go for less than 5 cents
per gram now.