[meteorite-list] Mystery Meteorite Fall

From: McCartney Taylor <mccartney_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Nov 6 13:23:56 2005

In my research of rare Texas history books, I've found references on 2 meteorite falls that are pre-
Nininger and are NOT in the Catalogue. The first I'm still research with the help of the County Historical
society. The second I need some help on.

I've found a reference to a fall in 1884 at mid-day where there is a witness who heard a "Sonic Boom"
and other witnesses who said :
"it made a noise like twenty freight trains and was so bright it 'dimmed the sunlight'".

That sounds authentic and corresponds with meteorite fall acustical phenomena. The other half the
story is the author (dead) saw in a museum in 1924 the alledged meteorite and described it as:

"a large black stone about waist high and several feet across shaped like a dougnut without the hole. It
was labeled 'the Lubbock Meteor'"

Again, the believability factor is there. The size sounds a bit exagerated, however the account was
written 60 years after he saw it. The name "Lubbock" refers to Lubbock Texas, alledged impact zone
which does not seem likely. But *sigh*, I'll have to research that.

Question for the list -
Does anybody have a guess that this could be an existing listed fall? If so, which fall?

ps. I'll have a website up about my expedition to Tanzania this week. And yes, I missed the shooting in
Zanzibar by 6 days. Meteorites and mahem, what an exciting combination.

McCartneyTaylor, IMCA 2760