[meteorite-list] Steve Arnold Discovers Brenham Main Mass

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 10 16:06:18 2005

Hi Geoff, Steve and List,

Moni wrote:

"This is so awesome! I am speechless!"

So am I. Baffled, dumbfounded, paralyzed, awed ...

Sincere congrats!!!

> Steve, I am amazed and how did you know it was way down there?

Steve probably smelled it ;-)

"The find, at 1,400 pounds, beats the next largest Brenham found by
Stockwell in 1949 (1,000 lbs) and therefore becomes the main mass."

http://www.aerolite.org/brenham.htm

There is a color picture of the 1,002-pound mass in Sky & Telescope,
August 1979, p. 128 (photograph was taken by Merlin Peck) and the
caption says:

This 454.5 kilogram (1,002-pound) pallasite meteorite was discovered
in 1948, buried under 63 inches of soil near Greensburg, Kansas.

I have a scanned JPEG of this photograph. In case someone is interested,
email me and I'll send it to you.

Droolin' on,

Bernd