Re-2: [meteorite-list] photo link - a cosmic marble

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Nov 13 17:03:34 2005

Mike wrote:

"That is no H3. I would say LL3 or LL4."

As some areas have chondrules that look very much like L3 or LL3 material
(chondrules intact and sharply delineated with hardly any matrix in between),
while have obviously undergone considerable metamorphism (chondrule rims
blurred, low abundance of chondrules that are intact), we may also be looking
at something like L3-5 or LL3-5 or even L3-6 or LL3-6 if Stefan's detail5.jpg
is really a highly metamorphosed component.

Matteo guesstimated it might also be an H chondrite. Well, the majority of chondrules
seem to be rather small which might point toward a possible classification as an H
chondrite, but, on the whole, H chondrites usually contain a smaller proportion of
large chondrules than the L and LL chondrites. So I too, would assume it to be an L
chondrite. But who knows? Only the classification will finally tell!

Anyway, whatever it is, it's a terrific example of what the asteroid belt out there has
in store for us, and, another example for why I personally think it is an untenable point
if someone says NWA meteorites are less sought after than, well, say, historic finds
with a pedigree. If this oval tree-ring beauty had geographic coordinates and a well-
established TKW, would this add to or diminish its beauty and its extraordinariness?
No, I don't think so. No flame wars, please, ... just my point of view ;-)

Cheers,

Bernd