[meteorite-list] seti

From: Jonathan Gore <jonathan525_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Nov 14 00:10:12 2005

Neil Caliva wrote:
> How far could our EM signals generated by humans be detected?

This was answered in the Q&A of the May/June 2005 issue of the
"Planetary Report"; it says military EM signals could be detected out to
about 50 light-years if the aliens used a dish the size the of the dish
at Arecibo and most signals (like TV signals) could be detected out to 1
light-year or less with antennas similar in size to ours. However, an
astrophysicist told me that we could be detected out to a few hundred
light-years if we tried "really hard". But if the source signal is
directional (most of the EM signals that travel furthest are) wouldn't
that cause more complications? -- Since you would have to match the
direction of the EM signal.

Jonathan