[meteorite-list] The Search for our Beginning, Hrd Meteorite Book

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 16 08:06:35 2005

Hello all again,

Thinking on the line of fairly cheap, somewhat out of date and yet a good
read meteorite book, I would also suggest "The Search for Out Beginning" by
by Robert Hutchison. 164pgs, (c) 1983, Oxford University Press, 1983,
Hardbound with Dust jacket.

>From the back of the dustj acket "We, each of us, have part of a star inside
us. The calcium in our bones was made in a star and distributed by the
nuclear explosion that ended its life before our sun was lit. Evidence for
such an event cannot be found on Earth because it is an active planet....To
look back beyond this time we can get a little information from the Moon,
but essentially all our knowledge comes from the study of meteorites, mostly
pieces of rock but a few of metal, that fall to earth from Space....It is
ironic that to look into the earth's most distant past we most examine the
most recent arrivals on its surface."

53 Photos, 17 of them color. Some of them include: The Discovery of Allen
Hills 76009 (page 3), The Passamonte Meteorite in flight (page 8), The Jilin
Impact Crater and excavation pit (page 17), Meteor Crater (page 20), Meteor
Crater floor (page 21), Kentland shatter cones (page 22), Eskimo Knife
Presented to Captain John Ross in Greenland (page 28). 33 charts, graphs or
illustrations.<p align="center">Chapters include: 1. Debris from Space, 2.
The Historical Perspective, 3. Fact and theory - our knowledge of the Earth,
Moon and inner planets, 4. Meteorite diversity, 5. Chemical similarities and
differences, 6. What we learn from meteorites, 7. Our legacy from the stars,
8. Origin of the Earth and of life - a sun thesis. Glossary, Index and
Reading Lists.

Book writer Dr. Robert Hutchison is the Curator meteorites at the British
Museum of Natural History in London. Home of one of the largest meteorite
collections in the world. Dr. Hutchison has reached kind of rock star status
among the meteorite world and is one of the leading experts.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
www.meteoritearticles.com