[meteorite-list] RE: Ad - 77 Auctions Ending, Great Stuff!

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 16 11:53:55 2005

Christian A. wrote:

>Let me know if we use this list to discuss the matter of meteorites
>or if we use that list for fighting against each other ...

>We are members here from Europe and we are not award, we don't
>practice this way of life. I think I speak for many of the European guys.
>Nobody, really nobody, and again really nobody of us is interested
>in this stuff.

Christian, trying to herd cats again? On a serious note, could you please
and most kindly repost the question on carbonaceous chondrites vs.
rumurutiites and what answers you finally arrived at - I hope that could be revisited,
especially if it went off list as you might be suggesting.

Finally - How about a meteorite competition putting the usually (???) well
behaved European guys vs. the frequently chaotic North Americans guys to a
real test ... to see who comes up with the best informative and most
entertaining answers. That could be fun for everyone. Lots of fun. One vote in favor
of the Meteorite Olympiad (And a Meteorite-Bee for those of us enjoying
spelling and such). Think about it. A nice way to promote the excitement of our
favorite theme and happily burn some time that otherwise will inevitably be
used for the contencious posts.
First submissions:
Where does the earth have diogenite-like material in the crust? How about
pallasitic material somewhere in the mantle...and at what depth is it believed
still liquified according to what theory? How do you spell Ureilite and how
about a story on the man behind the name? Biggest stone strewn field?
Finest Thompson-Widmanstatten figures. Smallest country with a NomCom meteorite?
 What happens when you warm chondrules in water in a vacuum? Highest gold
content in a meteorite? Most reduced meteorite and theory on why? Is a
meteorite more likely to appear at the equator or at a pole and why?

I nominate Bernd and Sterling as judges, so probably they can't participate
in the first round. Let the games begin.

Saludos, Doug
(enjoying living on top of one big mess of differentiated meteorites, but
they do tend to warp my mind!)