[meteorite-list] NWA 1685 or Dean's BL Chondrite

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Nov 20 14:50:51 2005

Mike T. wrote:

"I still have a nice piece of NWA 1685 for sale on ebay. It did not sell first go
around so I dropped the price. Nice to look at if your not interested in buying."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6580283897&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Hello from the owner of two NWA 1685 individuals cut in two halves and two NWA 1685 thin sections:

The matrix and texture of Dean's BL chondrite is one of the most beautiful things you'll ever have seen
come from NWA. It is brecciated, inclusion-rich, and clast-rich. Some clasts are so featureless that I
decided to buy two NWA 1685 thin sections from Dean when he had them on EBay and find out what these looked
like under the microscope. TS#1 almost knocked my socks off and made me doubt if that could be an LL5 or an
LL6. These areas look almost achondritic, not a trace of something chondrule-like. The term "metachondrite"
had not been born yet at that time, but that's what the featureless portions of this beauty look like:

Thousands of tiny, colorful crystals evenly distributed, and, as I said before, not the slightest hint
of a chondrule or relict chondrules in these parts of the matrix.

Cheers,

Bernd