[meteorite-list] Shield-shaped meteorites

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Nov 26 18:40:04 2005

Peter Sch. wrote:

> I am studying shield shaped iron meteorites. I was wondering
> what meteorite my fellow list members think is the best shield?

One of the best if not the very best of the shield-shaped meteorites is
the 1745 kg Sikhote-Alin mass. According to Buchwald, it measures about
1.2 x 1.0 x 0.5 m and is beautifully regmaglypted. Some regmaglypts or
thumbprints are 4-8 cm in diameter and radiate away from the apex of the
shield-shaped cone. Along the edges, these thumbprints form conspicuous
elongated grooves parallel to the direction of flight of the shield through
the atmosphere. There is also a fissure, 20-40 cm deep, that extends from
the apex and almost divides the mass into two halves.

Best regards,
Good night,

Bernd