[meteorite-list] what is "weg"? -- Getting off-topic now ;-)

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Nov 27 14:38:04 2005

Mike Farmer wrote:

"I think he means "Way" as in a street name."

Axel wrote:

"I'm not sure but it could mean West European Community (Gemeinschaft)."

Peter Marmet wrote: "Yes, it means Street or Road!"

Hi Mike, Axel, Peter, Martin, and List,

I think Mike is right although "weg" can have several different meanings depending
on the context. What a fine opportunity to show our list members how closely related
German and English are - they are both Germanic (or Teutonic) languages after all.
So look and listen: a German "t" is often a "d" in English, and "ag" or "eg" is "ay"
or "ai". Here are some examples:

Weg - way / Tag - day / lag - lay / sag - say / mag - may / Segel - sail

Some more?

The German syllable "-ark-" or "-org-" is often represented by the English "row"

Look here: Mark => marrow / Sorge => sorrow / Morgen => (to-) morrow.

German -elb- or -alg- or -olg- can change into "low": gelb => yellow / Talg => tallow / folgen => follow

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;-)

Bernd