[meteorite-list] Ebay Negative Feed back

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Oct 3 14:57:03 2005

Hi Al and all,
        The eBay feedback system is so transparently flawed I give
it nearly zero credibility. If someone has multiple complaints,
only then does it matter to me. I never use it unless a buyer
directly pleads with me and I don't give a damn if anyone uses
it with me.
        Since this whole rating thing is based on the whims of a huge
population peppered here and there with sickos, I consider any
rating over 97%+ excellent and 100% nothing short of miraculous.
        Al, it is clearly "unfair" that you got dinged but that is the
nature of this eBay set up. It should always be viewed as generally
reflecting the business practices of an individual. Anyone within the
97%+ range indicates only whackos have a problem with him/her.
        While a "perfect 100%" is what all dealers should strive for, it
is unrealistic to believe any of us could maintain it because there
ARE people who will try to cheat you and when you don't let them
they will strike back with a negative feedback.
        Your one "defense" is a responding feedback - but even then,
eBay screws you again by limiting you to like 25 words! Even so,
you can clarify (within obvious limits) what really occurred. Then,
since your rating is like 99% anyone looking into the single negative
feedback can trace your response and read it. It ends up hurting the
original complainer far more than you, as they inevitably have multiple
complaints and you have one. Who's most believable in a such a "he
said - she said" scenario?
        I know it is frustrating when one works for years attempting to
be entirely fair in every way in every deal. You start to take a good
deal of "pride" in being a 100% honest and fair dealer under every
circumstance. Then comes the time someone tries to cheat you
and you won't let them - and they ding YOUR reputation! But,
remember, while pride, when properly aligned can be a good thing, it
can also be destructive if we become obsessed.
        So, word your negative feedback carefully and rationally and
anyone so inclined can trace your "negative feedback" and check
out your response. But, do you think anyone will be concerned if you
have a 99.7% positive rating?
        Unfair, yes. Damaging? - not really. Only the most naive people
could possibly think someone with hundreds of deals "should" have
a perfect rating when the rating is based on the whims of a public
that includes all manor of whackos and deviants.
        It is good you care about your reputation. It wouldn't be good
to obsess about it. 99% makes you A # 1 in any sane person's book.
        Best wishes, Michael

--
Beware the fury of a patient man.
John Dryden