[meteorite-list] Ad- new rare type 7 meteorite

From: Stefan Ralew <stefan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Oct 5 18:07:25 2005

Dear List Members,

today I would like to introduce an interesting, new classified meteorite NWA
2898. This meteorite is classified by Ansgar Greshake (Humboldt University
Berlin) as an extremely rare H7 a meteorite and is definetely not paired
with NWA 2635 and pairings. NWA 2898 is much more recristallized, with
coarse grained crystals and more fresh than NWA 2535. The texture of NWA
2898 resembles a primitive achondrite but the oxygen isotopes show clearly a
relation to the H chondrites. Lately there were some new suggestions to
group the highly metamorphosed chondrites (type 7) and the classical
primitive achondrites under the new name metachondrites. Scientists will
probably still discuss this subject. Maybe the term metachondrite will be
used in future instead of the old name type 7. But at the moment I do not
want to offer NWA 2898 under the label metachondrite because the meteorite
was officially submitted as a H7 to the NomCom. However, for me NWA 2898 is
a unique meteorite, not comparably with any other meteorite in my
collection. This meteorite was under examination since 2003 and I havn`t
seen any paired pieces till now. Therefore, it is likely that only this
small mass exists.
On my web page I have listed nearly all available pieces of this beautiful
meteorite. Most pieces are very affordable because of the low size and an
important addition for every meteorite collection.
http://www.meteoriten.com/special.html

Best wishes,
Stefan

SR-Meteorite