[meteorite-list] rust eh eh :)

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 21 03:52:17 2005

Hi Moser,

Better to use a lower temperature for a longer period of time than get it too hot too quick, it takes time for moisture to percolate out of all the pores in the material. I would think 100 degrees is a bit high. If you get them too hot, you may start to alter the metals properties, at high temperatures metal will start to oxidize and eventually you might eventually destroy the widmanstatten structure).

Btw, don't use a gas oven, as gas releases lots of water when it burns, so it's best to use some form of 'electric' drying oven. And your right, oil/grease is best applied while still slightly warm so that the water doesn't get chance to re-condense.

Btw IMHO, The best solvent to use is anhydrous ethanol (alcohol) since this absorbs water, it helps in drying them out..

Best
Mark Ford