[meteorite-list] Terminological question: SMB vs. IMB

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 2 08:36:18 2005

Hello Martin and List,

First I would like to correct statement in your email to the list:
"On the occasion of an ebay auction, namely NWA 2704 "SMB H4".

NWA 2704 is a nice L3.8, S2, W2, not an H4. I believe the meteorite you
meant to refer to was NWA 2706 which is a beautiful shocked and melted H4.

Here are a couple picture links of NWA 2706 showing the characteristics of
this beauty:

Click here to view 48.9 gram complete slice displaying breccia
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2706/nwa2706a.jpg
Click here to view 48.9 gram complete slice displaying abundant metal
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2706/nwa2706b.jpg

The term "Shock Melt Breccia" is a term used by Dr. Bunch at NAU when he
classified NWA 2706 for me. I am not sure if it is a new term used by the
NomCom or a preferred term by Dr. Bunch, or if there is a difference between
an IMB and a SMB. My guess is they are one in the same. I will talk to him
and ask these questions.

Best regards,

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection