[meteorite-list] OT: New Orleans blamestorming

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 2 09:45:41 2005

A recent paper in Science looked at this issue. The analysis suggested that
hurricane frequency does not appear to be strongly coupled to sea surface
temperature, or to other components of global warming. Hurricane frequency
appears to follow its own multi-decadal cycle and has been doing so for a
long time. However, hurricane intensity is strongly coupled to high sea
surface temperature, which is one of the primary results of global warming.
The conclusion was that we can expect much more damaging hurricanes over the
next century or more (depending on long term warming trends), even though
the frequency will probably start to drop again in the next 10-15 years.
Overall, not very encouraging for those living in hurricane prone areas.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com