[meteorite-list] AD - Rare roman coin with meteorite theme on Ebay

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 3 20:42:59 2005

Yes, Darren, one stone survived.
The holy stone of the temple of Paphos on Cyprus, which is depicted on many
classical coins (Traian, Vespasian, Drusus, Caracalla and so on),
was recovered by excavations on the temple site more than hundred years
ago.
It was kept in the cellar and the stock of the National museum in Nikosia
for an eternity,
until it was transportated to the local archeological museum in Kouklia,
where it's now exhibited.

Never a sample was taken for authentification.

The Meteoritical Society is a puddle of culturally uneducated people, as
they rather like to spend the tax payers money for having fancy meetings at
the Yacht Club in Rio instead to send a student to Cyprus to take a sample,
as they simply don't see that chance for making one of the most important
discoveries in the history of meteoritics.
If the stone will be a meteorite, it will be a sensation, proving that the
baethyls warshipped in temples of the classic period in the classical Greek,
Roman, Seleukid period, like the omphalos in Delphi, the stone in the temple
of Ephesos, the stone in the procession car of the Astarte in Sidon, the
stone in Emesa, which was transported to Rome, the stone in the temple of
Zeus Kasios in Seleucia were true meteorites.
If it will be not a meteorite, the try would will be have been well worth
anyway.

But what shall we do? Each professional member of the Meteoritical Society
is better paid than me, I can't afford just to book a flight to Cyprus in
that matter. It seems to me, that all of them have no interest in the
history of meteorites at all.
It is always like this, when people are paid for their jobs wit the tax
payers' money, no matter, what they are doing, they can't be forced to do
the obvious, they don't care, it's a scandal.
Incredible, I posted this several times to the list. Come on, if I would do
my job as a meteorite seller as those employees by the state are doing, I'd
better buy a gun and a bullet for me.

Hey Mike or Greg&Adam, go there, take a sample, if it's authentic, keep half
of the type specimen, you could sell it at a triple price of Chassigny.
It makes me sick. If you join Met.Soc, it costy you more than 100$ per year.
A flight to Cyprus from Europe is available at 150$, two ways.

So Mrs Zipfel, Mr.Grossman, Mr.Jull, wake up, it's time!!!!!!

Angry Martin -this ignorance drives me crazy - without Buckleboo.