[meteorite-list] 100 year old meteorite story from Sweden

From: Ingo Herkstroeter <metopaster_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 7 05:32:45 2005

>Hi Folks!

> "If this is the stone I'm thinking of, Zenzen,
> who was head of the Sweden Geological Survey
> or Museum, or equivalent official and a prominent
> geologist, wrote extensively on it. The witness
> account is perfectly consistently with "the real
> thing" and the stone is fossilerous limestone."

I think this indicates a new question: Are sedimentary meteorites
possibible?

People mostly don?t think about this problem and so this problem don?t
exist! We all knew, that we have rocks from Mars, but this rocks are "only"
igneous! Why most people don?t accept, that sedimantary rocks could be hard
enough to survive a impact (and this is the main problem) and become
meteorites? I don?t know how many of you ever piced up a hammer and go out
in the field to have a look to terrestrial rocks. I?ve made this since I?m 8
years old and I?ve seen a lot of sed. rocks hard enough to do so. There are
sed. rocks on the Mars that?s sure, so why not a Mars sandstone or
limestone?

And what?s about planetary metamorphic rocks (not shock met.).............?

Just a few wild thoughts

Ingo/Germany

--- Urspr?ngliche Nachricht ---