[meteorite-list] The Next Mother Lode: Mars

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 8 02:22:00 2005

Hi, Darren, List

    Why Mars? you ask? Or the Moon, or the Asteroid
 Belt, or anywhere else in the solar system?

    The question is analogous to the perceptions of the
Old World (Europe) to the New (Americas). In the XVth
century, the Americas were not a discovery but an
obstacle. They inconveniently blocked the way to China
and Japan, and for the better part of a century,
exploration was undertaken in an effort to find a way
to get through them or around them (searching for
the Northwest Passage)!

    Soon, the Americas became more important as a
source of lootable resources, that is, the gold of native
civilizations fueled the wealth of nations. Impoverished
Spain became the richest nation in the world thanks to
the Aztec and Inca gold and silver, for a century at least
until they wasted it all on military excess.

    By the XVIIth century, resource looting became much
more rational, seeking after conventional resources, like
timber, furs, and new unexpected resources, like tobacco
and new agricultural products. Colonies were placed in
America, not because people wanted to live there, but
because it was more efficient to have the workers live
"near the mine head," as it were.

    But, by the XVIIIth century, people were coming to the
new lands because they wanted to seize a share of those
immense resources for themselves! American history,
as told to Americans, asserts that the USA, for example,
was a great success because Americans were industrious,
ingenious, and generally virtuous (all -- ahem! -- true,
of course). There is little mention of the fact that a new
population was placed on a continent with a sizable
share of the world's coal, oil, gold, silver, copper, iron, a
long list, all free for the picking up. You don't suppose that
having the wealth of a world handed to you on a platter
helped any in our success story? Nah....

    I can see knowledgeable and sober Europeans listening
to explorers rant about the vast empty lands of the new world,
"Yeah, but what good is it? It's empty, no cathedrals, no towns,
no villages, all worthless wilderness; it'll never amount to
anything." Very practical. There must have been a lot of
practical Europeans, since so many of them stayed there
But there were a few who weren't so practical...

    I'm a Moon Nut, rather than a Mars Nut, but perfectly
happy that we currently want to go to the Moon to "jump
off" to Mars. What good is the Moon? Are you crazy?
Ten million square miles without a single McDonald's?
The Mickey D franchise for the Moon is ultimately more
valuable than if the Moon was littered with diamonds or
gold nuggets and they were all yours. It drives me nuts
to listen to people who ask "what use is a new untouched
world?" Please, sell me the exclusive Lunar McDonald's
franchise for the next 100 years; I'd like my heirs to be
trillionaires! (A billion just doesn't go as far as it used to.)

    In the 1700's, coal was a curiosity; in the 1800's, it
was driving the Industrial Revolution. In 1800, petroleum
was a curiosity and an ingredient in patent medicines;
by 1900, it was driving the Industrial Revolution. In
1940, uranium was useful only for pottery glazes...
What resources of Mars or the Moon are essential
for the future and worth their weight in Helium-3?
Impossible to say. If you really want people to be
desperate to go to Mars, they should "arrange" for
one of the rovers to find a puddle of crude oil...

    Actually, what the people in 4Frontiers are smoking
is a great idea for an Earthly theme park, as you can
see, and if they develop any new technologies, so
much the better. If they really wanted to test Martian
environmental technologies, wouldn't Antarctica be
better than New Mexico? On the other hand, there
is more tourist potential in New Mexico than Anarctica...

    But seriously, the Martian end of their "business
plan" is perfectly sound and corresponds to the resource
development strategy applied in America c. 1600-1650.
It worked then; it'll work now, or fifty years from now,
just as well. And it will have just as unexpected results!
We cannot say what the wealth of the Moon or Mars or
Ceres or any other world will be with complete certainty,
but do not doubt that every world as yet unexploited
by man represents immense wealth, by the simple fact
of being unexploited.

    That is, after all, what we do, exploit, or transform,
the stuff of worlds, for its material and energy potential,
as the guys at 4Frontiers point out. That's where the
money is, and in the McDonald's franchises. How
about selling me the Starbuck's franchise for Mars?
See, if I was going to the 1848 Gold Rush, it would be
to open a hardware store, a laundry, a grocery store,
or a brothel... (I've been watching Deadwood.)

    In the end, the true wealth of a world is in its human
population, wealth being a human concept. What do you
think will be the population and GPP (Gross Planetary
Product) of Mars in the year 2100? 2300? 2500? Or
don't you think there is a future?

    4Frontiers just wants to get in on the ground floor,
or maybe just a little under the ground floor, or maybe
they just want to build BioSphere3.

Sterling K. Webb