[meteorite-list] 1848: light produced when "meteorite" sawn - possible or...

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 13 11:11:20 2005

Anne & all,

The types of luminescence that I described are
restricted to non-metallics. One thing I've wondered:
what sort of saws would they have used in the olden
days? Probably soft iron plus a particulate abrasive.
 It wouldn't be too hard to frictionally heat a cut to
red heat if inadequate lubrication was employed. They
probably also used an abrasive inferior to diamond,
which would've contributed to heat accumulation.

Cheers,
Norm
(http://tektitesource.com)