[meteorite-list] 1848: light produced when "meteorite" sawn-possible or...

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 13 12:33:55 2005

Well, keep in mind this was written by somebody who was astonished that the
meteorite didn't light the house on fire (something that should have been
understood even in 1848). And the description of the exposed straw is a bit
odd- it sounds like they are just seeing normal straw with unweathered
surfaces exposed. So my take on what is being described during the cutting
is that some sparks were flying- perfectly believable depending on what the
saw was made of and how it was lubricated. I've thrown sparks when cutting
stone.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory