[meteorite-list] Analysis of ancient irons

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 14 17:11:24 2005

Dear List,
  While at Yamaguchi Univ. last year I assisted a
graduate student in analyzing early iron tools found
in a grave in Japan. Because the metal was not molten
and was hammer hot worked; we found kamacite and
tanite; but only in the black zone weathered crust in
the highly weathered iron. I supplied over thirty
tools found in archaeological sites from SE Asia
(Thailand) and ALL of them showed no Ni.
  There are two Chinese Shang Dynasty examples of
meteoritic iron in knives found in tombs; one is now
at the Smithsonian in the US and the other at the ROM
in Canada. Best, Dirk