[meteorite-list] meteorites, stone axes, and Hounds of Heaven

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 14 21:10:43 2005

Hi,

    The name "thunderstone" derives from a belief in
their heavenly origin. Both meteorites and neolithic
tools were called "thunderstones."
    This theory held that meteorites somehow formed
in the sky during violent thunderstorms. Proponents of
this idea suggested that particles inside the clouds
consolidated because of the heat during a lighting
flash. For this reason meteorites were sometimes
referred to as thunderstones.
    We can see, in the Chinese example, meteorites
being described as if they were primitive tools.
    A nice, though old, history of beliefs concerning
neolithic tools as "thunderstones" and the history of
their early scientific identification can be found in:
<http://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/White/antiquity/thunder.html>
    "From a very early period there had been dug
from the earth, in various parts of the world,
strangely shaped masses of stone, some rudely
chipped, some polished: in ancient times the
larger of these were very often considered as
thunderbolts, the smaller as arrows, and all
of them as weapons which had been hurled by
the gods and other supernatural personages.
Hence a sort of sacredness attached to them.
In Chaldea, they were built into the wall of
temples; in Egypt, they were strung about the
necks of the dead. In India, fine specimens
are to this day seen upon altars, receiving
prayers and sacrifices."

Sterling K. Webb