[meteorite-list] One Find, Two Astronomers: An Ethical Brawl

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 17 02:24:16 2005

Hi, Doug,

    It's clear you experience great sympathy for Ortiz.
But I caution you to examine the evidence closely. The
analogy you suggest for the "Sterling" meteorite hunter
is not quite accurate nor apt.

    I hope you like lots of links, 'cause that's what
we have here. Initially, suspicion fell on Jean-Claude
Pele, because he hacked the Yale SMARTS site for the
SMARTS pointing information for K40506A that same day
(July 26). He even posted the SMARTS log information
on the Yahoo Minor Planet Mailing List, but after
2003EL61 was announced, and a complete ephemeris of
K40506A:
and
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mpml/message/15143>
and
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mpml/message/15144>
and
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mpml/message/15145>

    People were immediately suspicious. The next
message reply asks "Where'd you get this data??!"
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mpml/message/15147>
and Pele tells him how he hacked it:
Here is where he got them. These are the SMARTS observing logs.
http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/ANDICAM/Logs/2005/Jul/20050703.log
http://www-astro.mps.ohio-state.edu/ANDICAM/Logs/2005/Jan/20050125.log
http://www-astro.mps.ohio-state.edu/ANDICAM/Logs/2005/Jan/20050126.log
http://www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu/ANDICAM/Logs/2005/Jan/20050127.log
http://www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu/ANDICAM/Logs/2005/May/20050505.log

    Here's his protestation that he wasn't the thief:
and he gets Brian Marston (MPC) to "clear" him. Obviously,
he does not regard using these logs to make a "discovery"
to be harmless, but is desperately concerned to establish
that HE DID NOT do such a thing nor aid any one else to
do it.

    The complete MPML posts were re-posted to Freelists
by Marco Langbroek, a member of this list, if you want to
see them all:
<http://www.freelists.org/archives/fmo/07-2005/msg00082.html>

    Pele's innocent of "discovery." He wasn't him. It was
Ortiz and Co., using the IAA computer:
<http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/planetlila/ortiz/>
the same IAA computer used to report Ortiz' "discovery."

    The SMARTS site was not secured nor password
protected, nor is it now. Here's the SMARTS Consortium
website URL:
<http://www.astro.yale.edu/smarts/>

    It's very open, but obviously intended for the use
of the members of the Consortium. You can even access their
UNIX directory list:
<http://www.astro.yale.edu/smarts/smarts13m/>

    There is no attempt to conceal the observing logs.
On the bottom left are links to the "nightly logs." And
through the directory link you can get to the ccd
processing logs as well.

    For example, here's the URL to the "discovery
night," or Brown's first observation of K40506:
<http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/ANDICAM/ObsLogs/2004/May/>
Click on 20040506 and the log will download.
Of course it isn't called K40506A until later,
but it's in there somewhere...

    The name K40506A isn't "code" as you called it,
Doug. It's a field ID number for a thing that has no name
and is being referenced for the first time; that's all.
The number is merely the year,month,day of first sighting.
Brown gave out that ID number in 2004, when he told
the AAU that he would report on it at their September
2005 meeting with this notice:
<http://www.aas.org/publications/baas/v37n3/dps2005/320.htm>

    Teasing all this out was not easy. Yes, it was
(unintentionally) accessible, but it is difficult and
would yield usefull information only with a lot of work.
You'd have to want it pretty bad, need it, in fact.

    Brown was too naive. Also, he doesn't seem to
have been aware that Google indexes EVERYTHING,
and that you could do what actually was done to him.
    He said:
"It's true that the information was available
without breaking into any sites. It's also
true that sometimes I don't lock the door to
my house. I hope that people don't think it's
therefore OK to come in and take my stuff."
<http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3526451>

    I have no idea why you think Brown is such a
plotter, like his not criticizing Ortiz earlier, so
he can criticize him more later. That's paranoid,
Doug, really. Nor why you think his congratulations
to Ortiz were not sincere? They were unqualified
and open. He had no suspicions at this point because
he was unaware that the observing logs had been
accessed by anybody outside SMARTS. As for your
suggestion that the log accesses are "faked," Brown
would have to know in advance when Ortiz would
announce, an impossibility pretty much, don't you
think?

    As you can tell, GOOGLE is the key here. Without
it, connecting the AAU notice with the observing logs
and the ccd processing logs (they are crucial too because
they identify K40506A in the field coordinates), both of
which are on-line, are useless to a competitor.

    As for envy and resentment, does that justify
stealing somebody's else's observations? If Ortiz
actually uncovered the three 2003 plates used to make
that GIF, roughed out an orbit, observed it again,
refined the orbit, found the archival detections, all
without using Brown's observations, WHY? WHY! WHY?!!
did he not merely ANNOUNCE as the joyous and righteous
discoverer of a new world, without peeking into somebody
else's search records? Why pause on the way to glory
to commit a gratuitous and unnecessary crime?

    The fact is that the log accesses PRECEDE his
own timeline of discovery in every step. He hacks in the
first time BEFORE finding the object in the 2003 plates...
and he does AGAIN before submitting an orbit to MPC.
The light comes on and there you are, with your hand
IN the cookie jar, crumbs on your chin, and chocolate
on your lips, and you mumble with your mouth full,
"Id wuzzant me..."

    I'm somewhat aghast at your advocacy of the notion
that Ortiz is entitled to steal Brown's work because
he (Ortiz) is underfunded compared to Brown. Huh? In fact,
I see a kind of generalized third-worldish rationale toward
the rich and greedy Americans obviously not being entitled
to their obscene wealth because they couldn't possibly
deserve it or be entitled to it and must have stolen it
all in the first place, so it's only right to to help
yourself to it -- it isn't really stealing at all...
    There's an abbreviation for that (bs bs bs bs).

    If you want to indulge in complete paranoia about
fakery, consider that all these astronomical images are
digital ccd images. Given three plates of a region at
some other time than when K40506A was there and the knowledge
of what it's position would be when it was, I could create
that lovely GIF animation in PhotoShop in a few minutes.

    But I do not make that accusation. I think Ortiz hacked
the positional data, calculated the orbit, and found he had
an unexamined plate for a recent past position, checked
those plates and found that he had discovery plates and
never knew it! Driven as mad by that frustration as Don
Quixote obstructed by the windmill, he charged! Perhaps.
    I think if he had claimed, the next day, the three
plates as the prior discovery to Brown's and credited
Brown's data as an aid to that, everything would have
worked out fine and he would have been credited with
the find. Remember, we credit LeVerrier with Neptune
and not Adams, even though Adams really was the first
(but shot down by that jerk Flamsteed). Good thing
for LeVerrier, else he'd have been remembered solely
for "Vulcan."
    I think Ortiz' motive was not what you suggest, but
an excess of pride (and frustration).

    More chunks of the IAA website have disappeared, BTW.
In fact, there some pages gone tonight that were there
yesterday. Bad news for somebody. So while there's
anything left on the web, let's see...

    Let's examine the wealthy American astronomers, shall
we? Here's the URL to a photo of Brown's telescope. It is
typical of the facilities maintained by we rich, greedy,
selfish Americans... Please note the gracious architecture,
the annoying Corinthian columns, the large number of Rolls
Royce's in the parking lot, the luxury boxes, and most
particularly, the hot tubs for observers to relax in after
a hard day of hoarding knowledge from more deserving
(Spanish?) astronomers...
<http://www.astro.yale.edu/smarts/smarts13m/13mcr.jpg>

    We turn now to the poor but virtuous astronomers. Here's
a URL to a photo of Ortiz' telescope. Please note the fences
besieged by hollow-eyed starving children, impoverished by
the greedy Americans, the generally shabby and rusty
facilities, the antiquated equipment. The poor IAA, it has
no telescope bigger than 3.5 meters diameter, los pobres
del AnduTHia!
<http://www.iaa.es/~ortiz/OSNTWeb/index.htm>
and more here:
<http://www.osn.iaa.es/osn_eng.html>
and here's more "fotos"
<http://www.osn.iaa.es/fotos_eng.html>
    Am I to understand from your comments about greater
aperture that the operators of a 3.5 meter telescope are
envious of a 1.3 meter telescope? Doesn't seem logical.
    Ortiz' "quad-scope" is four Celestron 14-inchers
(on very expensive mounts BTW -- C-14's ain't cheap either)
and is the equivalent of a 0.72 meter scope. It's 20.5
magnitude reach comes to within 1 magnitude of Brown's
1.3 meter telescope. It's clever, well done, and a worthy
competitor.

    Sorry about the sarcasm, Doug. I couldn't help myself...

    Now, data hoarding accusations by Ortiz. Hmmm. The interval
between his discovery plates and his first report is 2.3 YEARS
and he is critical of Brown because he sat on his discovery and
worked on it for 6 MONTHS. Do I have that correctly? Yes, I do.
Also doesn't seem logical. Nor reasonable.
    Which is worse, working on your discovery for a while OR
not looking at your own observations for more than two years?
Hey, sit down and check the plates once a month! Seems like
a good idea to me...

    The upshot is, that Ortiz will probably get to "keep"
2003 EL61. There ain't no Science Sheriff, pod'ner. And the
IAU are quivering bunnies huddled under bushes. But he will
gain a reputation (or lose one). Well, in this grand era of
gossip, what's a science scandal? Ortiz tells the NYTimes,
"I do not enjoy... so much questioning." Now, that I BELIEVE!

    If you've got clear skies and an eight to ten inch scope,
it's conceivable you could discover it too! It's very bright.
For orbit and ephemeris data:
<http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/mpec/K05/K05O36.html>
Orbit and ephemeris data are here too:
<http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/database/TNO1.htm>