[meteorite-list] re: One Find, Two Astronomers: An Ethical Brawl

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Sep 18 07:30:41 2005

Sterling wrote:

> Marco calls Brown's observations "unpublished"
> and "unreported" yet also refers to a "published"
> abstract of Brown's and to the "publicly accessible
> website." If so, there's a reason that that the law
> refers to "publishing" on the web. To place anything
> on the web is to PUBLISH it, legally. So, we are
> drawing a line here that weaves in and out among
> various definitions of "publish," and that line is not
> a straight line. Is the criterion peer-review alone?
> Not to the world at large...

In solar system minor body research, discovery credit is given based on who
first reported astrometry for the object. And Brown et al. DID NOT REPORT
ASTROMETRY. In fact, their abstract gives very little information. From the
abstract alone it is not possible to identify their object with 2003 EL61. Only
by combination with the accessed telescope logs, is it possible to *suspect*
that it is 2003 EL61 because those logs point to an object in the same area.
Those telescope logs represent a grey area. Their status is not clear at all.
They appear to be public, but where they meant to be so?

Given it is established rule that it is the reporting of astrometry that counts,
there is nothing improper about Ortiz et al getting the discovery credit, even
if they suspected Brown et al. migh have been observing the same object. There
is no grey area regarding that. MPC/IAU rules are clear in that. Brown et al.
made a conscious decision when deciding to not yet report astrometry. They had
their reasons for that (which were valid), but they knew the risks. When
somebody else observes the same object and reports astrometry, you are outdone,
and only can blame yourself in this case.

About the DSP abstract status: note that there are scientific journals that do
not accept references to meeting abstracts, as they do not consider it a proper
publication.

With further regard to the DSP abstract, I will let noted minor body astronomer
David Tholen answer that one further. Below statement by Tholen comes from
yesterdays MPML list edition: