Re (addition 2): [meteorite-list] re: One Find, Two Astronomers:An Ethical Brawl

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Sep 18 18:31:57 2005

Hi, Marco

    While I am far from a working knowledge
of the astrometric procedures, no practical
experience doing so, in other words, I note
that in addition to the the rough pointing data
you refer to, it appears that among the files
accessed were the ccd processing logs.

    As I said earlier: "the ccd processing logs...
are crucial too because they identify K40506A
in the field coordinates,"

    That is to say objects are identified by pixel
coordinates, i.e., 782, 349. If you have read the
specification of their ccd, say, a 1024 square
pixel array, you are able to pinpoint the position
of K40506A in the field. If then, there are other
identified objects, such as stars (which there
are) with pixel coordinates, one is able by
interpolation to fix the position of K40506A to
a high degree of precision and a fair degree of
accuracy (the two not being the same) for a
given time of exposure (which is also in those
logs).

    Even I, a refugee from the pre-calculator era,
could do it with no resources beyond a sharp
pencil... That is why I said the access of those
logs was significant.

    But, the matter is essentially a dead issue,
important primarily to the individuals involved.
I am much more interested in 2003EL61 itself!
Its shape, for example. Now, there's a puzzle
worthy of puzzlement.

Sterling K. Webb