[meteorite-list] charity olivine gabbro lunar aucton

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 19 13:04:08 2005

I had an auction running on ebay closing today that was tied with Geoff's
meteorite community charrity raffle effort - for a 4g complete slive of my
new olivine gabbro lunar. earlier this morning ebay cancled the auction
after sending me the following emails - copied at the end of this post.

I had no idea there was so much red tape involved with charity efforts on
ebay. I am not willing to use ebay's mission fish charity program because
mission fish is aparently a FOR PROFIT organization! furthermore they
require sellers to provide their credit card info to them over the internet
so that the amount of a charity auction can be automatically charged to
their visa right after the sale - something I'm not comfortable with doing.

SO... I'm still interested in contributing to this effort, I figured the
best alternitive to the ebay auction aproach would be to solicit offers from
interested parties over the next few day. There were over 30 watchers for
this auction - if anyone has any intrest please let me know.

Thanks
Stan

Dear laserprogram,

We appreciate that you chose eBay to list the following listing(s):

6560273044 - NWA 2727 olivine-phyric mare basalt lunar meteorite

However, your listing was in violation of eBay's Charity policy.

Your listing(s) contains the following information:

All net proceeds from this sale will go directly to the American Red
Cross<br>

eBay encourages community members to be active in supporting charitable
endeavors. Because charitable fundraising is a highly regulated area
subject to numerous state and federal laws, eBay has partnered with
MissionFish to make charitable listing easy and has created very specific
guidelines for when charitable solicitations will be allowed on eBay.

Non-MissionFish listings

1. Sellers may only list items on behalf of a charity if the charity has
provided advance written consent for the solicitation. To prove that you
have obtained that consent, you must include a scanned copy of the consent
in the listing.
2. Sellers may only solicit on behalf of recognized 501c3 or 501c4
charitable organizations.

MissionFish listings

1. Sellers may only list items via MissionFish on eBay that meet the
MissionFish listing guidelines, including the guidelines designed to obtain
advance consent from the charities.
2. Sellers may only solicit on behalf of recognized 501c3 or 501c4
charitable organizations.For more information on Charity visit the following
Help page:For more information on Charity visit the following Help page:

Please note: violation of this or other eBay policies may result in forfeit
of eBay fees on cancelled listings, limits on account privileges and account
suspension.

Please review eBay's Listing Policies and User Agreement at the following
locations:

  http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/policies.html
  http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html

For more information on why eBay removes listings, or to write to us with
questions, please review the following Web page:

  http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/listing-ended.html

We thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

Dear laserprogram,

We appreciate that you chose eBay to list the following listing(s):

6560273044 - NWA 2727 olivine-phyric mare basalt lunar meteorite

However, your listing was in violation of eBay's Inappropriate Links policy
and has been removed from eBay. We have credited all associated fees to
your account and notified eBay users associated with the transaction that it
has been cancelled.

  We would like to take this opportunity to let you know what part of your
listing is not permitted.

Your listing(s) contains the following information:

http://www.aerolite.org/meteorite-raffle.htm<br>

eBay allows only the following types of links in a sellers item's

- One link to a page that further describes the item being sold in that
listing
- One link to your email address that opens an email client for potential
buyers to ask questions about items in your store.
- Links to photos of the item for sale
- Links to your eBay (including your eBay Store) or Half.com listings
- Links to your About Me page (in addition to the About Me icon already
provided by eBay)
- One link to your listing terms and conditions (providing that the most
relevant information is within the listing itself and that this page does
not include any links off of eBay)
- Links that provide credits to third parties

If a logo is used for any of these links, it may be no greater than 88x33
pixels and it may not flash or otherwise move. (The exception to this
guideline is links to a member's eBay or Half.com listings).For more
information on Inappropriate Links visit the following Help page:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-links.htmlFor more information