[meteorite-list] Raffle, The Final Tally

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 20 21:44:28 2005

Where do you think the next raffle will be for? ;]

Great job!

Pete

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/s2484.htm

NOAA RAISES THE 2005 ATLANTIC HURRICANE SEASON OUTLOOK
Bulk of This Season's Storms Still to Come

Aug. 2, 2005 — A very active Atlantic hurricane season is underway, and with
more storms projected, NOAA today increased the number of storms in its 2005
hurricane season outlook. NOAA expects an additional 11 to 14 tropical
storms from August through November, with seven to nine becoming hurricanes,
including three to five major hurricanes. In total, this season is likely to
yield 18 to 21 tropical storms, with nine to 11 becoming hurricanes,
including five to seven major hurricanes. (Click NOAA satellite image for
larger view of Hurricane Dennis as the storm made landfall near Pensacola,
Fla., as a Category Three hurricane on July 10, 2005. Click here for high
resolution version. Please credit “NOAA.”)

NOAA Podcast 3:18
Photos & Audio
"The tropics are only going to get busier as we enter the peak of the
season," said Brig. Gen. David L. Johnson, USAF (Ret.), director of the NOAA
National Weather Service. "This may well be one of the most active Atlantic
hurricane seasons on record, and will be the ninth above-normal Atlantic
hurricane season in the last eleven years."

"Although we have already seen a record-setting seven tropical storms during
June and July, much of the season's activity is still to come," said Gerry
Bell, lead meteorologist on NOAA's Atlantic Hurricane Seasonal Outlook. The
predicted high levels of activity during the remainder of the season are
consistent with NOAA's pre-season outlook issued last spring, and are
comparable to those seen during August to October of the very active 2003
and 2004 seasons. (Click NOAA image for larger view of 2005 Atlantic
Hurricane Season Outlook Update. Please credit “NOAA.”)

Atmospheric and oceanic conditions that favor an active hurricane season are
now in place, as was predicted in the pre-season outlook.
"Warmer-than-normal sea-surface temperatures and low wind shear are among
the culprits behind these stronger and more numerous storms," Bell added.

This confluence of optimal ocean and atmosphere conditions has been known to
produce increased tropical storm activity in multi-decadal (approximately
20-30 year) cycles. Because of this, NOAA expects a continuation of
above-normal seasons for another decade or perhaps longer. NOAA's research
shows that this reoccurring cycle is the dominant climate factor that
controls Atlantic hurricane activity. Any potentially weak signal associated
with longer-term climate change appears to be a minor factor.

The multi-decadal signal that has contributed to increased Atlantic activity
since 1995 has also produced a marked decrease in hurricanes in the eastern
Pacific hurricane region. Similar conditions also produced very active
Atlantic hurricane seasons during the 1950s and 1960s. In contrast, the
opposite phase of this signal during 1970-1994 resulted in only three
above-normal Atlantic hurricane seasons in the entire 25-year period. (Click
NOAA image for larger view of the conditions NOAA expects for the rest of
the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season. Please credit “NOAA.”)

Conditions that steer hurricanes toward land are well known, but are
difficult to predict on seasonal time scales and are often related to daily
weather patterns. However, historical records indicate that an average of
two to three additional hurricanes could strike the U.S. between August and
November.

“Knowing precisely where a hurricane will strike and at what intensity
cannot be determined even a few days in advance,” said Max Mayfield,
director of the NOAA National Hurricane Center. Mayfield adds, “Residents
and government agencies of coastal and near-coastal regions should embrace
hurricane preparedness efforts and should be ready well before a tropical
storm or hurricane watch is posted.” (Click NOAA image for larger view of
the sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean. Please credit “NOAA.”)

An average Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 through
November 30, produces 10 named storms in which six become hurricanes,
including two major hurricanes with winds of at least 111 mph. The most
active hurricane season was in 1933 with 21 storms, followed by 1995 with 19
storms. The most hurricanes in a season was 12 in 1969, and the highest
number of major hurricanes was eight in 1950.

The 2005 Atlantic hurricane outlook is a joint product of scientists at
NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, Hurricane Research Division and National
Hurricane Center. NOAA meteorologists use a suite of sophisticated numerical
models and high-tech tools to forecast tropical storms and hurricanes.
Scientists rely on information gathered by NOAA and the U.S. Air Force
Reserve personnel who fly directly into storms in hurricane hunter aircraft;
NOAA, NASA and the U.S. Department of Defense satellites; NOAA data buoys,
weather radars and partners among the international meteorological services.
(Click NOAA image for larger view of the vertical wind shear associated with
above normal hurricane season. Please credit “NOAA.”)

NOAA, an agency of the U.S. Department of Commerce, is dedicated to
enhancing economic