[meteorite-list] Re: RE: New CO3.5 Picture

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 21 23:17:11 2005

Hi Christian,

I would like to make a few points here.

You wrote "I bought it as a possible R-Chondrite directly from Morocco."
I do not remember when the Moroccan dealers became scientists. They will say
anything to make a sale.

I personally would not put anything in my collection that was not classified
and mark it as something I saw in a picture. Did you visually pair your
stone to Adam's R-chondrite, NWA 3146?

This shows the importance of supplying a proper type sample and getting the
material classified. You simply can not use a photo to classify by. If you
had your material marked as an R-chondrite in your collection and it turned
out to be a CO, wouldn't be that worth the extra effort and expense to have
it classified properly?

I have emailed Dr. Bunch in regards to all of this to get his input and
confirmation as to the classification. I do not doubt his work.

I think any further communications should be made in private emails where
this should have originated.

Best regards,

Greg